Basement Impact Assessments (BIA)
Kensington and Chelsea and Camden have increased the requirements for the amount of information required for planning. The councils have concerns over how the new basements will affect the neighbours.
The council want to confirm that when you excavate a sizable hole that its affects have been considered. Quite a sensible approach really. Different boroughs have different criteria and levels of information, but they mainly want to know:
- Will the basement cause flooding?
- Will the basement affect water flows around the area?
- Will the basement affect neighbouring properties?
- Will the basement affect any historic structures?
- Will it affect the local highway, or infrastructure (Rail or underground)?
- Has a trained professional looked at the project and considered the pitfalls?
- Ensuring the basement is inspected by a trained professional during the works.
Croft Structural Engineers can help throughout your project from the planning stage to final construction: Our main role is the design and construction of basements but we have tailored our service to help with BIAs. Unlike our competition (geotechnical or environmental companies) Croft Structural Engineers will be helping you throughout the project. It is not uncommon that the engineer at the first meeting producing the BIA will be the one undertaking the final design and then inspecting the construction. Such integration in the projects life has proved invaluable on numerous occasions.
Our BIAs are designed to help with two processes. They are not simply a tool to achieve planning. We have designed our BIA to be a useful tool in the final proposed developments. We are looking to work with and continue the project from the planning stages through, design, party wall and final construction of the basement. As structural engineers we will be integral to all of these crucial stages.
At Croft Structural Engineers we have completed over 300 basements. The practice has been involved in over 200 BIAs. We have a wealth of knowledge that allows us to undertake and complete BIAs.